There has been a lot of discussions over the past few weeks and months over the hot topic of re-districting. Because of the recent Census count the NYS Legislature was mandated to redraw district lines for all State Assembly, Senate and Congressional seats. There was heated debate from all sides that argued in favor or against the revisions.
What does it all mean for the residents of these districts?
In most places there will not be a major shift and the same Elected Officials will still run and if re-elected represent the area. In other places there will be new Elected’s to get to know. Ultimately it means that people need to continue to get to know who represents them at all levels of government. It also means that whoever gets elected or re-elected needs to reach out and introduce themselves to the community they represent.
Why should people get to know their Representatives?
Our Democracy is the greatest form of government in the free world! It’s a bold statement but it is shared by most and demonstrated by our Right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. Winston Churchill stated “It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.”
We give our Elected Officials the power to be our voice in government. Sometimes we agree with what they do and sometimes we don’t. Unlike most countries we get to vocalize our opinions without censorship. We should make sure that when we disagree with our Reps we let them know in a civil manner. Remember Elected’s are human too. When we agree with them we should let them know they are on the right track.
It is sad when you look at election results and only an average of 5000 people for a local race come out to vote when there are well over 100,000+ people living within those districts. Remember, this is your government. Just like you would vocalize your opinion in your home you should do the same with the all mighty vote.
What’s the connection with Real Estate?
Home ownership is still the American Dream! Elected officials set policies that impact every aspect of our lives and Home Ownership is heavily affected by the policies created.
- Zoning regulations which affect the layout of your community.
- Eminent Domain which is when government can acquire your private property when they feel its for the public good.
- Water Rates Self Explanatory.
- Property Taxes which impacts your wallet.
- Property Assessments which is what government uses to determine the value of your home for tax purposes. Did you know that even if Property Taxes aren’t officially raised your tax bill can still increase because of a new assessment. Note: Assessments can be challenged. Not easy but it can be done.
- Funding for Public Safety, Education, Health, Housing, Parks, Transportation, Sanitation and the million other issues government is responsible for.
- Laws that are created that determine what we can and can not do.
- Lending the federal government sets the base rate that determines what interest rate a bank will charge.
- FHA makes it easier for people to buy a home. Lower down payments and seller concessions. For more on this topic Click Here.
Government plays such a large roll in all of our lives that it is important that we all get involved politically. One of my favorite quotes is “If you don’t speak up, You won’t be heard!”
Since Petitions are being circulated to get candidates on the ballot why not head over to your local political club and find out what they stand for and how they can be of service to you, but like John F. Kennedy said “Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country!”
As most know I wear two hats. Both hats are about helping people. If you need more information about what the election maps look like, who represents you and Real Estate check out the following links.
Thank you for taking the time to read this Article.